Fall 2009 – Summer 2011
- Principal Investigator: Stefan Grzybowski
- Support Team: Leslie Carty, Barbara Lai, Daniel Hawkins, Adam McIntyre-Smith, Paul Dickinson and Craig MacKie
- Tofino, Masset, Merritt, Burns Lake, Queen Charlotte City, Fort St James, Lillooet, Vanderhoof, Hazelton
This exploratory study will use multi methods approach which will include structured focus groups with a range of rural stakeholders including:
1) Women who have given birth within the past 18 months in study communities;
2) Members of Aboriginal Band Councils in charge of reimbursements for women who have to access maternity care outside of their local communities;
3) Local hospital administrators / financial officers and care providers (GP surgeons, midwives, obstetrical and public health nurses and prenatal care educators).
The analytic model will be a mean per parturient woman cost for specific rural communities and specific levels of service. We will use the results from a range of communities to develop a formulaic approach to predicting costs for rural communities and alternative levels of service. Cost effectiveness results will be derived from amalgamated data.
Fieldwork has been conducted. Data is currently be analyzed. Next phase is for community reports and academic articles to be written.